Monday, March 24, 2014

Friendship

Friends and friendship is a very valuable commodity. It is not easy to find good and loyal friends. It is not something that you can buy or you can find on Craig's list.

Friendships last a very long time maybe even a lifetime and good friendships are really durable. They will survive life's ups and downs, they will survive criticism. Good friends do not get insulted by one and other if negative criticism is voiced.

Good friendship is an investment. One invests in his or her friends and the lifetime dividends are enormous.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog when tragedy strikes the family comes forward, pat you on the head and withdraw hoping you do not call for any further help. Good friends stay and offer genuine help and assistance in the daily life.

How does one develop friends?

I don't think there is a prescription on friendship. It just happens. When two or more people click, find mutual interests and find each other likable the first condition of good friends is satisfied. Then comes honesty and trust. Because one should not distrust his friends and one should not try to lie and mislead his friends either.

Friends are not just to go parties with, go to the movies with or going out drinking with. Friend are the ones who take genuine interest in each other's lives and the ones one can turn to when there is really needed.

I have friends who I have known almost all of my adult life, which believe me is quite a long time, then I have friends I have known only for a measly 52 to 57 years.

The sad thing is that because the way our lifes turned out, some of my oldest and best friends are in different parts of the world. And that makes our contacts more complicated. I know they feel with me and they care about me but still not being nearby makes it little bit more difficult. But hey, our friendships survived the distance and the oceans between us and that is something.

One of my oldest (not by age) friend is coming to visit next week from the other side of the pond and another one is coming up from another state and I am really excited about it. Looking forward to seeing them and their wives and have some nice frank conversations. Just sorry that I will be the fifth wheel at our gathering.

But I am proud to say that our friendships endured time and distance. And, I hope we have many, many more years of such get togethers ahead of us.











No comments:

Post a Comment