Thursday, September 24, 2015

Post Fast

We had a beautiful dinner last night and that prepared us for a day of fasting today. We ate a lot and tried not to think of food all day long.

And it worked. We broke our fast at 6:50 at night. For me it was a personal best. In previous years I always stopped between 3 and 5 pm. But today we were busy, we had thing to do and by the time we got home it was almost 7 pm.

We had our dinner around 8 o'clock but I got so used to not eating that I said we should continue just for losing weight. It didn't work, we had dinner.

Now I am a new man. Not a sinner anymore, pure as the driven snow!

Something else.

Tomorrow is a Muslim holiday called Eid al-Adha. Actually it is tomorrow and Friday. This means that alternate side parking is suspended and streets will not be cleaned. It also means that New York City public schools are closed on the first day.

I never heard of this holiday and since I am a curious person I looked it up in Wikipedia, my bible.

It seems that it is very important Muslim holiday that is celebrated worldwide. It honors the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son, as an act of submission to God's command, before God then intervened, through his angel Gabriel and informed him that his sacrifice has already been accepted.

This is all very nice but my question is why the Jews don't celebrate it? They celebrate every single thing under the sun that happened back in that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment