Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fish

Why do the more religious Jews pray at the water?

That is a question that was puzzling me in the last week or so. We were out on Manhattan Beach a few times and I couldn't help but see orthodox families standing by the water or rather the protective handrail and pray. After praying they were throwing bread into the water like feeding the fish.

Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn is around Sheapshead Bay and that means there is a lots of water to be found there. Just before Rosh Hashanah I saw really large crowd praying. Yesterday it was Sunday and we saw people here and there praying and throwing bread into the water.

Funnily, some people threw matzos in the water. They think these are Jewish fish who only eat kosher?

Anyway, this waterside praying looked very interesting and until now I couldn't figure out what purpose it served. I'm sure sooner or later I'll figure it out because I am really very bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment