Thursday, September 17, 2015

5776

This Tuesday was Rosh Hashanah the first day of the Jewish New Year. In the Jewish calendar it started the year 5776. In accordance with custom the night before, meaning Monday we had a lovely family dinner.

My fiancee cooked Sunday and Monday and prepared a beautiful table with all the traditional stuff. I had many Rosh Hashanah dinners but this the best. With candles, honey, nuts and fruits, challah and soup and main course the dinner was just great.

I bought my favorite wine: Manischewitz Raspberry Wine. I bought a bottle of real vintage, last Wednesday's. Can't help it, I love that stuff.

Tuesday and Wednesday we celebrated the holiday by not doing anything as it commands in the good book. Wait a minute! It seems we celebrate every day because we don't really do anything on other days either.

Rosh Hashanah is a school holiday in New York City. Schools are closed for two days. And one more day for Yom Kippur. It is unbelievable, school started on last Wednesday, went on for four days then off. It will be closed for two more days next week. One for Yom Kippur and the next day is some kind of Muslim holiday. New York schools are equal opportunity educational institutions!

I never had that good back in Hungary when I went to school. But there we didn't have any Chinese, Indian or Muslim students. We had Stalin's birthday, Lenin's birthday and similar stupid holidays. We didn't question it, we were glad when we didn't have to go to school.

Anyway, good country America!

No comments:

Post a Comment