Saturday, January 2, 2016

The New Year

The new year is now well underway. The first day is almost over and there is only 364 more to go until the next party. But as a very good friend of mine said it we are not in a hurry.

Yesterday was New Year's Eve. We had a very good time because the family was together. We went out for an earlier dinner, between 8 and 10 in the evening then went up to our apartment and partied well past midnight. We all had a good time.

I am a little superstitious when it comes to luck. I heard of a Hungarian (I think) custom where everybody hold some money in their hand as midnight approaches and at the stroke of twelve jump into the new year with the money. It supposed to mean the year will be good as far as money goes. We also ate some lentils because they say that will also bring good luck.

Here are a few other beliefs. Do not eat chicken and pork around New Year because they will not bring good luck.

I made sure everybody had a dollar bill in their hands and we all jumped. Time will tell if that thing works or not. Oh, that bill is not supposed to be spent.

Because the day ended kind of late or early in the morning today we didn't get up until about one in the afternoon but by the time we left the house it was after five. Slow day!

We wanted to go out for a New Year brunch but by the time we got ready it was more like an early dinner than brunch. We also opened some mail that was delivered yesterday and since as I said I am superstitious I was very pleasantly surprised when a check fell out of one of the envelopes. An older lady whom I know just found out that we recently got married and sent us a very nice wedding present. My wife says getting a check on New Year's Day is a very good sign. Who am I to argue?

Tomorrow is Saturday and in the evening we are going to the Opera to see The Barber of Seville. If anybody is interested next time I'll tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment