Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Old Stuff

It is very interesting and at the same time it is sad that things we remember from our earlier lives are now becoming antiques. Items that used to be in those days "high tech" are now nothing more than just plain relics relegated to be nothing more than just something to place on a shelf or on a desk.

What made me write this?

I'm sitting at my new desk and thinking about what to write when I noticed a very nice looking small typewriter sitting at the corner of the desk. It is beige color and is in perfect condition. It used to belong to my wife and she placed it on the desk for decoration. I don't see that we will ever use it but it is still nice to have it. I have another portable typewriter in the trunk of my car I just never got to bring it upstairs.

The one in my car I got as a present from my cousin when I came to the country and I used it lots of times. I wrote letter, resumes and other things on it but now there is no use for any of them.

The interesting thing is that I probably know how to use them while today's youngsters wouldn't know what to do with such a thing. I bet some would look at these and would not know what they were.

My mother used to use coal burning iron to press clothes. Recently I saw some used as flower pot. Then there is the rotary dialed telephone. If somebody would have to use one probably wouldn't know what to do with it. We still use the word dial but dialing is not what we do. We press the numbers on the number pad.

When we moved I was forced to revisit all the things I stored away and found things that even amazed myself. I have a Super 8 movie projector and millions of feet Super 8 films. I also have a Super 8 movie camera that I used to make the films. Now these are really ancient. But I also have a video camera that I used to make video tapes. This last one is "only" 16 years old but I'm sure already a relic.

Why do I have them? I don't know. I think because I am a hoarder and also because I like to keep old technical gadgets. I didn't even mention the various old cameras I have in the house. These I bought throughout the years and just didn't feel like throwing them out. I don't know why I keep them, one can not buy film any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment