Thursday, November 19, 2015

Stuff

It is unbelievable how much stuff a person can accumulate in years and not really be aware of it. I always just put stuff aside, on shelves, on top of each other, in folders, in bags. Never paid any attention to much what it really was.

But now that the time came to move everything I had to reevaluate my stuff and decide what to throw out and what to keep. There are mementos and there are mementos. I decided to throw out the majority of the stuff and keep all the letters I received from my parents since leaving Hungary. We used to correspond weekly and that went on for twenty years. You can imagine how many letters that make up. But I insisted on keeping those and nothing else. And a few of my old school things that my Mother kept. This does not sound much but believe me it still is add up a considerable quantity.

I think we eventually will reorganize the storage items and will be able to reduce that inventory to an absolute minimum. I hate to think what would have happened if we bought a house. Houses come with garages and other funny spaces and they all just cry out for attention. Attention meaning store stuff in me, please.

It is a funny thing with old mementos. We keep telling ourselves that one day we will sit down and look through all those old family photographs we keep throughout the years. Sadly, that time never comes. There is always something else to do. But as everyone do this I am no exception. I keep saying that one day I'll take out those old photographs and explain those funny looking people in them.

Right now we still have stuff in my old apartment and in the storage. We really don't know what we will do with them but by the end of the month something will have to be done.

And this is easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment