Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wednesday

If I would have a lot of money, and I mean really a lot I would probably spend it on frivolous things. Things that would make my life easier and more comfortable and more entertaining. And I would make sure that the need never arises when there is a want for money. I also think that most of the people, at least the ones I know think the same way.

Some of my friends would leave their "fortunes" to their grandchildren since their children are grown and have established careers.

But the ones without natural heirs would make sure that their capital is sufficient for a worry free, comfortable life for the duration.

All this said, thanks for the wealthy who are willing to part with their money.

I keep receiving a monthly publication from Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSKCC) that I find very informative and interesting.

Informative because they go into deep details about what they do on the front of cancer research and interesting because I always find some write up about a doctor we came across.

I just received the most recent issue and read it from cover to cover and came to a question.

Where would medical science be without the contributions of the wealthy?

One major contributor just gave a 100 million dollars to MSKCC, another a "measly three million, another ten million dollars. All earmarked for specific research or education.

And MSKCC is not alone, I also received a similar publication from North Shore University Hospital where they mentioned similar contributions.

And this is happening across the country probably in every or most hospitals where wealthy individuals establish funds or endowments with their money.

Since the government is not doing a dammed thing about helping these institutions they must rely on charity in any shape or form.

I know all these contributions are tax breaks for the wealthy but still as much as I don't like them I am still very grateful for their contributions.

I'm glad I am living in a capitalist country. Can you imagine if this were a poor country?

No comments:

Post a Comment