Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Monday

Today is my Mother's birthday. She was born one hundred and ten years ago. It is plainly unbelievable how time flies.

She passed away in 1978 but I remember Her if I had seen Her just yesterday. It is funny how I can not picture Her aging. She is in my heart and in my memory just as I saw Her the last time. I can not imagine what She would look like today. Actually if She were her She would make the Guinness book of World Records by being 110 years old and still living.

There comes a point in life when no matter how much we miss our parents we have to realize that thinking realistically they could not be here with us anymore.

So, we just have to believe that they are at peace and in a better place. An also watching over us.

My Grandfather was born in 1870 and my Grandmother was born in 1883. I had the pleasure to know them both. They both lived a long life. I didn't say happy life because they both went through World War I, WW II and the Holocaust, the Hungarian Revolution but they both survived these calamities and died of natural causes.

Both of my Grandparents started their lives in the second half of the 1800s but by the time I knew them they were pretty much up on all current technologies. They were not old fuddy-duddies stuck in the old times by any means.

If I think back that I knew my Grandparents who were born in the 19th Century and I lived through the 20th Century and we are now in the 21st Century it is really amazing.

When my Mother was born there was no such a thing as airplanes. I guess at that time only birds flew. Yet, without any complaints in the middle 1960s She got an a jet and flew out of Budapest and came to New York to visit me.

Never thought what a culture shock that must have been to Her. But actually, She really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment