Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 9, 2010

I always try to write about something current like economy, money, golf and sex - oh I forgot the last two are the same!

Anyway, today I will stray from my preset format and will be occupied with Numero uno = me.

Today is my birthday. Yesterday was Elvis Presley's birthday but I couldn't be bothered because he is dead and I am still here.

All day I was very emotional about how fickle life is.

I was born 73 years ago. So much water went down the Danube since that it is unbelievable. So much history happened that books and books could be filled.

Just what I was affected by is a respectable list: World War II, 1956 Hungarian revolution, my escape from Hungary and coming to the US and starting a new life, 2001 September 11.

One of these is enough for a lifetime but all these!

My poor parents never dreamed of what was awaiting for me in life. My Father and Mother were aware of my life in America and that kind of put their mind at ease. My Mother visited here twice and I went back to see her few times but never had the chance to see my Father after I left Hungary.

In hindsight I don't know what I would or could have done differently in my life.

I am glad I left Hungary, I am glad I came to this country, I am glad I was married once before because otherwise I could not have met my present wife. I am glad I chose the profession I was in because that was also my Father's profession.

A lot of things were squeezed into those 73 years. And looking back they went so darn fast.

I have an unmarried cousin who has a girlfriend for about forty or more years now. This cousin is two years older than I. His girlfriend always reminds him that there is not as much ahead of him as there is behind him.

I hate to think like that. OK, the world will come to an end in 2012 but maybe it will not.

We always have a future and I for one don't want to know if it is a long future or a short one. I am not a fatalist. I will not let things be just because it is not worth the effort to fight.

I had a very dear friend who had a very serious kidney problem. The transplant didn't work and rather than undergo tedious and long dialysis he decided to throw in the towel and let nature take its course.

Family and friends begged him to reconsider but he was very stubborn. He passed away before the age of 70. He didn't have to go so early but he was a fatalist.

My Father passed away at age 62, my Mother passed away at age 73. My maternal grandparents lived to a very ripe old age. So my genes are made from good contributors. We'll see!

Today I received cards and calls from friends as far away as Australia. And these made me feel very good.

The only regret I have (but it's not too late or is it?) is that I always thought golf was a very boring sport. Man, was I ever wrong!

2 comments:

  1. I share your feelings of guilt at leaving our parents behind, but as you, I beleive there was no choice in reality. We had to get out. I had my parents visiting some years twice after I left and I am happy about that. However the way my mother spent her last days and my last visit to her in the hospital is a recurring guilt trip which will accompany me to the end. It is only fair to mention that Dome and his wife when there was a need at the end, were great. It is a pity that the friendship has soured. By the way his birthday is about now. I am itching to sendhim a card, but I really do not want to renew the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told it is not to late to take up golf as it is a gentle sport. My answer is that as a pensioner I havent got the money. (We got a jewish golf club within easy walking distance) Also while swinging the golfclub I always imagine upsetting my delicate back. If you are hinting at another meaning of golf, well that is a subject even more delicate than my back.

    ReplyDelete