Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010

When I wrote the date above I had to stop myself from writing 2009. I guess it will take a few ruined checks to get used to it.

So here is the lowdown.

On New Year's Eve we stayed up late. We watched a very lame show on ABC TV with a fat assed J Lo and the ball dropping on Times Square. Had some champagne, kissy-kissy at midnight then very relieved that now we can sleep.

Actually, I had Asti Spumanti because I don't like champagne. No class! And, we did stay up until about 2 am. And, since we are still bouting with our colds there was no kissy-kissy but a lot of hugging.

Yesterday, New Year's Day we slept late. I think we woke up a 8:30 or about.That's late for us. We hung around the house, made and received some phone calls then went to a very swanky place for New Year's Day Brunch.

The food, the service, the ambiance was exquisite. It was a buffet brunch but since we had the three o'clock seating that did it for dinner, too.

There was lox, seafood salad, Caribbean lobster (that I love), stuffed mushrooms, sushi, omelets, hot food and a desert bar with a chocolate fountain where one could make his own chocolate covered strawberry or anything else. And let's not forget the drinks. Bloody Mary was coming non-stop.

It was great. We met a nice couple at the next table and since we talked a lot we didn't eat that much which was really good.

All in all it was a very nice day.

I am superstitious. I believe in certain customs.

So, when midnight comes at the end of the year we each have a dollar bill in our hands because the belief is that then you will have prosperous year. I also jump, because you supposed to jump in the New Year. My wife says that one is not supposed to eat any animal that scrapes because that means you scrape away your luck. That's why we don't have any bird for New Year's Eve dinner.

I'm sure there are hundreds of folksy beliefs but these few are enough.

I was watching TV this morning. The shows are so annoying that we had to turn off the set. They come forward with this forced jolliness about the New Year. Driving me crazy with the constant harping about New Year's resolutions. Who cares!

And the astrologers/mentalists forecasts? They are so generalized anybody can say these things. But I guess these people have the connections so they get on TV. Professionals can not forecast the economy or the weather for one day to the next and I am expected to believe that these phonies can see ahead for the entire year! Please!

But I guess this is the traditional subject for the first few days of any new year. It would be interesting to go back some years and see how these seers forecasts realized in the coming times.

Today is January 2. Only 363 more days until the next year's end. Maybe we should start planning already. Remember, time flies before we know it will be here again.

We did some supermarket shopping and found traffic, stores open and a lot more people than yesterday. It seems the Holidays are only a memory now. In the supermarket's greeting card section now Valentine's Day rules. I'm so happy that there is always some big event to look forward to and spend money on.

Anybody who missed buying that huge diamond for Christmas, don't despair Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if lobster was on the menu in Vorosmarty utca?! Also is it kosher?

    Hope by the time you read this, your cold has left both of you. Nasty illness it can get one down.

    ReplyDelete