Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30, 2010

I just want to react to a comment about yesterday's subject.

I emphasized that I live in New York and I am only familiar with the New York conditions. I am sure that in other localities the conditions are different.

The smaller the community the more reachable the doctors are. Yes, we here probably have the best money can buy but that is not always enough.

I am not questioning the hard road they have to take until they reach their goal but it is their choice.

Sure, people on Wall Street start to make money right after leaving school and if they screw up they get awarded while doctors have to study hard and if they screw up they get punished.

The stakes are totally different. But fortunately, doctors are rarely affected by the economical situation. There will always be sick people and there will always be need for healers.

===========================

There are a few words in the English or rather the American English language that I absolutely hate to hear.

TV reporters and other interviewers are apt to use them so much that I think these slang are already officially accepted.

I hate to hear cup of java or cup of joe, or any such reference to coffee. Why coffee can not simply be called coffee? How comes that tea doesn't have a nickname?

Dogs are such cute and friendly animals. But I hate when they are referred as pooch or Fido. Who in the world will call his dog pooch or even Fido?

These word are not such that they are regularly used in conversation. I never heard anybody referring to his dog as pooch.

So why degrade those nice animals by giving them these stupid names?

Another word that I simply can not stand is broadloom. First, I don't even understand what it means, second I can not figure out how to fit it in a sentence. But one can see signs at stores advertising broadloom sale.

I thought maybe I would go into a store and ask for a few feet of broadloom and see what happens.

As long as I am talking about the English language, here are a few observations. Spelling and pronunciations are very similar lots of times but the meanings differ greatly. Here are a few of my examples:

Why one kneads dough while one needs dough ($)?

Why one talks to a nun while one talks to none?

Why one lies in bed while one lies to wed?

Why one's pants are loose while one hates to lose?



No comments:

Post a Comment