Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 5, 2010

Today I brought my car to the dealer for a 15,000 mile service. Biiiiig mistake!

First of all there is nothing wrong with the car. It is as smooth as butter, runs like a Swiss watch. There was absolutely nothing to complain about. Actually, not counting an earlier oil change this was the car's first service. And, probably the last at the dealer.

I waited for the car not feeling like going home then coming back later. Giving them credit the car was done in about two hours.

They did things that are absolutely not visible. So in essence I don't know if those things were done or not. The service area is like an operating room. Ordinary people are not allowed in while the car doctor is working.

I don't know if they greased the doors or checked the brakes or rotated the tires or changed all the filters they claim they changed. When it was done it felt the same as before except the seat was totally rearranged.

Giving them credit where credit is due, they washed the car. It looked as clean as it looked when we brought it out of the showroom. Actually, they only washed the outside, the inside is as dusty as before.

The bottom line is that the entire "checkup" cost $405. And there was nothing wrong with the car!

This was the last time I went to the dealer for service. Unless I can get it for free they will not see me again. Local service stations can provide the same for less money. Besides the car is leased. At the end of 2011 it goes back to the dealer unless we decide to keep it. Or the economy decides it for us.

===========================

Why kosher has to be dirty? This is a rhetorical question.

Since I am Jewish I am allowed to raise this issue. Why is it that I go into a kosher food store and I am ready to upchuck my cookies?

Not only the food is disgusting but the environment is dirty. The floors are dirty, the shelves are dirty, the fruits and vegetables displayed are unappetizing, the food within glass enclosures look terrible.

But then the staff don't look any different either. Why orthodox people have to look unclean. I don't think the religious teachings prescribe that one has to look unclean.

The reason I am raising this subject is that we live close to an area that is pretty orthodox. Naturally all the food stores are kosher, they are all closed on Saturday but then Sunday business as usual. We found a fruit/vegetable store that has better prices than the other stores in the area.

The place is very casual to say the least. By casual I mean they are not bothered by the dirt. There is butcher there who sells obviously kosher meat. He looks like he just stepped out of Fiddler On the Roof. I wouldn't buy any meat from him if he were the last butcher on earth.

But why orthodox people have to look this way? I had some religious training when I was very young but it never said not to wash. With the lack of hot water in our house I probably would have welcomed such instruction.

Years ago we went to a pizza place in that neighborhood. With kids running wild, parents really not caring the place looked like a war zone. Even though these are my people I have vary little in common with them.

I am clean, I like cleanliness. I like my food to be clean and come from a clean environment.

Also kosher tastes different.

Years ago we went to the son of a friend's wedding. The bride came from a religious family. The food was catered by a kosher caterer. We had chicken that tasted kind of disgusting. When we inquired we were told the reason being that it was kosher chicken.

Apparently they were freshly killed and bled out a certain way. Bottom line, they tasted awful.

I am sure this is because we are not used to it. Back in Hungary my Mother used to buy live chicken which was killed by somebody in our building then she cooked it. At that time I never complained. Probably because I didn't know any better.

Now, I am used to Perdue and Tyson.

===========================

Until now I had sleepless nights about airline security. But now I can rest easy because two major security risks were neutralized. Last week Ivana Trump, who is guilty of bad accent and this week Joan Rivers who is guilty of bad plastic surgeries were prevented from flying.

Vigilant airline people get an "Atta Boy" for these feats!

3 comments:

  1. When we go to the supermarket usually Super Fresh or Ginardi we are sure of one thing, the food is not Kosher. The floor is clean, the meat looks fresh (if not I just leave it there) and the fruit and vegetables are crisp.
    So why would I look for a Kosher store? Even if I wanted to buy kosher food, I might find a small corner in Food Fresh, a very expensive local food store.


    Some time ago the drivers side window just died, it would not go up or down. The Jaguar dealer gave me a price to replace the window motor for $450. I took it for a second oppinion to my local shop. He ordered the motor from the Jaguar dealer, installed it, price ...tick...tick..??

    $225.

    Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cars warranty would be invalid here if you did not have it serviced by a main dealer.
    In the main jewish district there are many, many kosher stores. Tremendous competition. Needless to say we do not shop there on a regular basis, but the staff is partly Eastern European and and the shops are clean. There is a lot of yiddish spoken, but they will take our nonkosher money too. Cannot fault them. Some years ago we were invited to the wedding of a kosher man and girl. Caterer was a Hungarian jew. Best food and presentation I have ever seen. So there are exceptions. Or here is different. Certainly in Kingsland Rd. or maybe Avenue in N Y the stores were as described by you. They were dirty and about 70 years behind. The remnants of the jewish stores in the Lower east Side, no different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be great to watch Fiddler On The Roof, i have bought tickets from
    http://ticketfront.com/event/Fiddler_On_The_Roof-tickets looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete