Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21, 2010

Yesterday was the 100th day that I started writing this blog. I should have celebrated with some epic writing but I chose to go skiing instead.

You can see my situation, I can epic anytime I choose to but skiing is limited to winter and snow.

Every time I was schussing down the mountain My conscience bothered me. It was telling me that I have responsibilities. But I shrug them off and kept on schussing.

Hey, did the golfer stopped doing whatever he was doing because his conscience was telling him to play golf instead? I don't think so.

Anyway, things are back to normal until I go skiing again.

I started writing this blog on October 13, 2009. That was one hundred days ago. Isn't amazing how time flies? It seems like it was just yesterday. Actually we can say it was last year, since it was.

Today it was a gorgeous day in New York. Sunny with very pleasant temperatures. No sign of winter anywhere. At least not here in the City. I went about a 140 miles north of New York yesterday and it is winter wonderland over there. Snow covers everything. The mountains the woods everything is covered with the fluffy white stuff.

Very pleasant.

===========================

The big news in entertainment is the Jay Leno, Conan O'Brian feud. Conan gets $33 million to step away from a loosing show and exit NBC to make way for Leno to reclaim his 11:35 pm time slot. At the same time Leno makes all kind of announcements that he has nothing against Conan and what a great guy Conan is.

Isn't this a great country? The constant discussion is about bonuses. People in the financial field get humongous bonuses for doing lousy jobs.

Conan O'Brian gets a $33 million bonus for doing a losing show. It seems he is doing better money wise then the bankers even though he was doing just as lousy as them.

For my money, neither is funny. Neither was and is worth watching.

I used to watch Jack Paar on the Late Show then Johnny Carson for many years. These people were funny and interesting.

Leno with his hand wringing style and Conan with his idiotic hairdo are not funny by a long shot.

I never liked David Letterman but compared to these two he is now the king. His is by far the best and most interesting Late Night show this time which is really not saying much.

===========================

Today I heard an interview on the radio from Haiti. The reporter was saying that there are indications that some normalcy is coming into life in Haiti. The reason he said was that shops start to open and street vendors are popping up everywhere selling their merchandise.

I think this is all bad! They say there are at least two hundred thousand dead, there are people still under the rubble, there are people unaccounted for. People lost everything. Their homes, their family members, their livelihoods and very likely all their money.

So, who is going shopping? This will create such an inequality among the misery stricken people that it will be unbelievable. It will create crime, the strong will pray on the weak and the have nots will take from the haves.

If it was up to me I would not have allowed any local commerce to start up just yet. It is too early. But then it is a corrupt country so, what one expects. It protects its wealthy and don't give a hoot about its poor.

Another thing. Royal Caribbean cruise ships sailing to Haiti? It is sick and immoral. Even if they claim that they are delivering supplies they still stop at their private section of the island. There the tourists frolic in the sand and the sea without a care. Outside of the wire fence two hundred thousand people died and God know how many more are missing. The capital is in total ruins and this cruise company acts like they are living in an other world.

Their claim is that by stopping there they give work to 300 to 500 people. Imagining how little they pay to the local help why don't they just contribute that money to these people and let them go and help with the clean up. I'm sure they can use all able bodied person in the clean up.

I spent a lot of time on Caribbean islands. I know what cruise ships look like and what effect they have on the public. They are gigantic. They are bright, all lit up. One can not help but knows that the people on those ships live well. They have nice clean quarters, eat and drink non stop and are being entertained.

Can you imagine the effect of such a ship on the suffering people on the shores? Obviously Royal Caribbean don't care. The only thing they care about is the mighty dollar.

I honestly hope that there will be some kind of backlash for such a stupid and immoral action.

No comments:

Post a Comment