Thursday, January 14, 2010

January 14, 2010

I love skiing. I like the cold and I like the snow. Well, not the stuff that has to be shoveled but I just like snow.

There is something peaceful about it. OK when there is an avalanche it is not peaceful but I don't live in an avalanche prone area and never did.

Just look at is this way and this is the opinion of a New Yorker. When it rains everybody is grouchy, everything is gloomy and people are in a pissy mood. Your clothes get ruined, it's utterly uncomfortable to go anywhere because people get very wet.

When it snows everything is white and people are in a lot better mood. It is cheerful to look everywhere because even the dirtiest streets are covered by the clean white fresh snow.

I remember some years ago there was a humongous blizzard in New York. Everything stopped even the subways. Driving was impossible, going to work was out of the question, schools were all closed. But people were cheerful. They dressed up in colorful warm winter garbs and went down to the streets just to walk around in the snow.

This lasted about a day then things started to move but it was nice while it lasted. Oh, it was very quiet also, no trucks, no cars, no planes. Just people.

Anyway, I like snow and everything associated with it.

I started skiing when I was around 17 years old. Ever since then I try to go at least a few times every year. That makes over 50 years by now. I don't ski as well as I should but it is good enough for me.

I have never been a daredevil and the older I get the more cautious skier I become. But still loving it.

That is about the only sport that a person can pursue alone, it is not a social gathering. You don't need a partner.

Tennis, one needs a partner and it only lasts an hour or so. Golf as a coed activity can go on for a long time but it goes into a different category and it turned out to be more of an adult activity.

Bowling, one needs someone to bowl with. Swimming can not be done all day long unless one wants to cross the Channel. Ping pong can not be played alone unless the person is extremely fast an can play both sides. Bicycling can be done alone but to do it for an entire day one needs iron backside.

You can see that leaves skiing as the last resort. It's only me and the mountain for the entire day.

On the way down the hill one doesn't talk because too occupied with the skiing and on the way up people don't talk much on the chairlift because it is so cold that even talking is tiring.

Now, skiing is not an inexpensive sport. The clothing and the equipment cost a lot. But that's a one time expense unless one wants to go with the trend.

The lift tickets on the other hand are really expensive. The place I go to is owned by New York State but the prices are not low by any means.

A weekend lift ticket costs $54 a person and a weekday ticket costs $45 a person. That is a lot of money for a larger family.

Still, this place and all other ski resorts in the area are filled with people. Yesterday was a weekday, I was not expecting any crowds but, the place was jumping.

The advantage of being old is that I can ski for free at this particular place. I am convinced that Social Security is subsidizing this free stuff so more old people go and ski. They figure whoever kills himself while skiing is good for them because they don't have to pay the Social Security benefit for life.

But it seems that people still have money to spend.

We went to Target and Walmart today and they were fairly crowded. There is a Costco nearby and people were still coming out with shopping carts loaded sky high.

I know things are hard but people are still spending money for themselves.

Here is a last useful advice as far as snow is concerned.

Whatever the situation is don't eat the yellow snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment