Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19, 2010

I am glad we are not planning any trip to Europe at this time.

This volcano stuff is getting to be bigger and bigger. The stories we hear through the media are really disturbing. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck in strange places with no means to get home.

But!

People who live in Europe and are stuck in European airports do have the means to get home. Hop on a bus, train, hitchhike or rent a car and drive home.

If I would get stuck, let's say in Oklahoma I would not get too panicky. I am sure I could find a way to get to New York. As long as there are roads one can always get from point A to point B.

But one can really not cross the Atlantic in a row boat. But there are freighters heading this way, and as long as they don't sail via Somalia, it could be a very nice and relaxing trip.

Knowing that the world is full of obnoxious people, I can just hear them at the airports arguing with the clerks. Demanding that a hapless airline clerk should tell them when the volcano will stop and flights will resume.

This morning they said it could be heading this way, towards the East Coast of the US.

I don't know if it is really true but nobody really knows. But if it happens it will screw up a lot of things around here.

And boy, Americans get really pissed if their comforts are disrupted. Disruption to the economy is OK, war is OK as long they are not on our lands, but our comforts are untouchables.

If there is no potato chip delivery to the neighboring 7 Eleven then we see red!

1 comment:

  1. I like this.

    Back in Hungary we used to stand in line for everything meat, milk, bread, fruit, movies even the trolley car.

    How would that go over in the US?

    ReplyDelete