Monday, April 12, 2010

April 12, 2010

I love outsourcing. The future of this country is to outsource everything because that is how we make money.

The reality that Americans are losing jobs because everything is done outside the country is besides the point.

I seem to remember that years ago Dell computers were losing business because they had the gall to outsource their support services to an Asian country.

Now it is an accepted way of life that when one calls for IT support service he gets connected to somewhere in India.

I called HP for assistance several times in the past years and I was always talking to a person somewhere in Mumbai or similar place.

One can recognize that the technical person is not from within the US. First it is the accent. No matter how much they try to hide it it comes through. But the primary give away is that they are much more polite than when we talk to someone from within the States.

Years ago, many years ago, I had to call someone on an 800 number for some assistance. It was a New York thing and we finished our business we continued talking. She happened to be a very pleasant person. I was stunned when I found out that she was somewhere in Tennessee and not in New York.

This was long before outsourcing became the norm.

But technology is so advanced now that the world is becoming smaller and smaller.

And also this is capitalism. They go where the available labor is the cheapest. Who cares if along the way they are creating unemployment. The important thing is the bottom line and making the stockholders happy.

I find it hilarious that they are training these people to act like Americans. They are learning the use of Americanism in their speech.

But this not an American thing. A few years ago I had to call the New York offices of the Hungarian airline. They are listing their offices for Downtown Manhattan in the Financial District along with a 212 area code.

The young lady I spoke to was very pleasant and helpful and it sounded like she was right here in New York. When I asked she told me that she was in Liverpool, England because that is where their costumer service was located.

As long as I didn't have to make a long distance call I was OK with it.

Maybe we should outsource our government, too.

Can you imagine how much money we might save by not having these money pits here. It seems that the English language is not required any longer in this country so these people will not even have to learn our customs and language they will still succeed.

Just something to ponder!

No comments:

Post a Comment