Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13, 2010

I went to the gym today. I try to go two or three times a week but there are times when an entire week is missed.

Last week I was dying from the cold so I skipped exercise. I figured as long as I am dying why should I knock myself out and be exhausted when my time comes.

Anyway my wife and I belong to this gym for a long time. We saw it change hands several times throughout the years but right now is at its low point.

The place is dirty, not maintained well and the membership leaves to be desired. The majority of the members are from eastern Europe and their relationships to hygiene is distant at best.

It seems they all think that sitting on a toilet is a social event. Even though the toilets are in individual booths with doors, they never seem to master the art of closing them while they are in use.

Why do we keep going back then?

The answer is convenience. It is not very expensive, we already know a lot of people there, it is not far from where we live and we always hope that things will improve.

And one day they will.

I love to exercise. I like torturing myself with weights and by using the machines. I'm very happy when I work up some sweat.

There are days, primarily in the summer, when the ventilation is not working well. At those times we work up tremendous amounts of sweat. I never complain because I keep telling myself that this sweat is well earned.

There are times when there are some attractive women in the gym (not too frequently), at those times us older geezers have the tendency to pull in our guts and add another 15 pounds to the weight we are lifting.

I remember at one time there was a young lady working out in my vicinity. There was a 70 pound weight on the floor in her way. She asked me if I could move it out of her way. Like any red blooded gentleman I effortlessly did. And when nobody saw me I said "ouch".

But in general, working out is good. Every doctor we visited for whatever ailment, and they were not many thank God, said exercise is good and it will make our life easier.

Now only if the economy would improve and those people would learn how to close the toilet doors life would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment