Monday, March 29, 2010

March 29, 2010

I am so happy that I'm retired and not working anymore. It is not a money issue and it is not not being occupied issue.

The issue is that I used to go to work every day using the New York City Subway. This was undoubtedly the best way to get in Manhattan since it was inexpensive and most of the time fast and efficient.

No matter where my office was located the the subway had a stop nearby. But then came September 11.

Since then taking the subway was a frightening experience. My line was traveling under the East River in order to get into Manhattan. In rush hours the trains were always full.

I could not help but always think of how exposed we were to any possible terrorist attack.

It happened in Madrid, it happened in London and now it happened in Moscow.

Thank God that so far it didn't happen in New York. But all law enforcement experts agree that New York is a prime target.

My problem is that while the invisible security might be superb the visible one does not give me the warm fuzzies.

The New York Subway system has 468 stations. There is no way the police can patrol and make all of them safe. Years ago, late in the days there was a policeman assigned to every subway train who regularly walked through the trains. Now there is nobody protecting the passengers who travel late.

I used to see group of policemen at various stations who were supposed to stop people and check suspicious packages. I never saw anybody stopped. They were always too busy talking among themselves and drinking coffee.

As a matter of fact, one time I carried a fairly large box onto the train because I bought something that was delivered to the office and I had to take it home. This squad of policemen were at my station. They never took a look at me even though it was a big box and I was expecting to be questioned.

Unfortunately, whenever something tragic happens they announce that they beef up security and it supposed to make us feel safer. But what they do is that they protect the so called glamor stations most of which are in Manhattan.

But what about the rest of the over 400 stations? Are they being protected? What is the guarantee that something tragical can not happen in one of the remaining three boroughs the Subway serves?

The New York Subway system has an antiquated public announcement system that is almost impossible to hear and understand and it has no closed circuit television network that would cover all the stations.

That is why I am relieved that I don't have to rely on this transportation system any longer because I have absolutely no faith in the security that is supposed to be provided.

I survived the World Trade Center once and I have no wish to expose myself to another similar experience.

One in a lifetime is more that a person should be exposed to.


No comments:

Post a Comment