Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 29, 2010

Today is May 29. The beginning of the Memorial Day weekend. It is the unofficial start of Summer but right now we are having pretty crummy weather.

Anybody who spends money on arrangements for an away weekend for this particular time is taking just as much of a chance as we are all taking on the stock market.

It is interesting that the further away we are from this weekend the nicer the forecast is. Then as it closes in reality strikes. I think it is is totally irresponsible from weather forecasters to do what they are and were always doing. But they are the same as economists. Have no clue.

I realized why I am so bright and witty. About a month ago my ear doctor suggested that I start to take ginkgo biloba pills. According to the description on the bottle it promotes brain functions. There, the mystery is solved!

Now, I don't have to suffer through sleepless nights wondering where all my smarts come from. I'm so relieved.

Here is another interesting (to me) thing.

When I was growing up I my mother tongue was Hungarian. I learned and also heard other languages spoken in those years, but I never thought another language could be as natural as one's mother tongue.

When I left Hungary I did come across people who spoke Hungarian and other foreign language with equal ease and I was very surprised and amazed. Never thought it could happen to me.

Now, living here in the US for the major part of my life I can confidently say that speaking the two languages, English and Hungarian, with equal ease is not impossible.

Actually I am pretty proud of my accomplishment. And I did it without the help of ginkgo biloba. Naturally, a UN simultaneous translator is far above of my abilities as far as the language goes but I am content with what I achieved.

I remember that years ago when we were trying to learn the language very intensively somebody said that he thought he succeeded because he dreamed in English. I think I dream in both languages. It depends on the subject.

A friend once said that when she knew the word rainbow her knowledge of the English language was absolute.

P.S.: The weather turned out to be pretty good for the rest of the day. When I started to write this blog in the morning it was really crappy, but it changed slowly.

I just wanted to add this to get the records straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment