Saturday, October 31, 2009

October 31, 2009

Today, it is 52 years ago that I arrived in this country.

Boy, it was a lifetime ago. So much happened in that time that I can not believe it. Both personally as well as politically and financially.

The trouble with living too long is that people disappear from around you, businesses close, and there are just too many changes.

In 1961 we purchase our first TV, and it was color. There was an episode in The Honeymooners show where Jackie Gleason bought his first TV and stayed up, or tried to, all night watching movies. Well we did the same thing. For days we went to work looking and feeling like zombies.

Now, 58 years later we bought our first HD television and we are just flabbergasted. Not really staying up all night but enjoying immensely the 40" screen.

In 1957, a month after arriving, I got a job through my uncle at some kind of a clothing company. Didn't speak a word of English except o.k. There was someone at the shop who was able to help and translate for me. Then, I think on the second week that I was there I was asked to stay and work late. At least I think that was what I was asked to do. I said o.k. and at five o'clock went home. At the end of that week I was let go. At least I think that's what happened!

Now, 52 years later I am unemployed again. In early 2007 I was asked by the company I worked for for 40 years to retire. At least I think that's what happened!

In the past 52 years I was a dishwasher, I sold vacuum cleaners, worked on constructions and eventually settled down with the same company for the remaining 40 years. I worked for that company for such a long time that it changed ownership five times. Working for a company for a long time eventually becomes a liability.

The first five, ten, fifteen years one feels safe. But after 20 years you are on thin ice. I consider myself lucky to be able to stick it out to 40 years.

Now, I am an unemployed retiree.

Next time I will write about the "joys" of retirement.

2 comments:

  1. I immensly enjoy reading your wise words. Keep them coming.

    A secret admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comments every day as well. It is funny I agree with some of your thoughts, but surly disagree with some others.

    To spred the word.

    Open a page in Facebook and post a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete