Sunday, October 25, 2009

October 25, 2009

Today I want to say a few words about Grandparents.

I think Grandparents are the most wonderful things in the world. I was lucky enough to know and got very close to my Grandmother and Grandfather from my Mother's side. They were very lovely and loving people.

When I was very young I always had the impression that my Grandmother was old, real old. But she could cook. Man, she could cook. She used to come over to our house and was giving recipes to my Mother and they were great. I know my friends don't fall into the same age category. I don't know how their Grandchildren see them but to me they are all too young to be Grandparents.

Now, this was the European way and they were in the Old Country.

Here in the US the institution of Grandparents is a completely different thing.

I have several friends who are Grandparents (some of them are even Great Grandparents, God bless their young hearts).

I know most of these people for a lifetime. I was there when their children were born and "suffered" with them through the growing years. I know how the parents behaved throughout their children growing up and maturing.

That is why I am so surprised at their change of behaviour towards their Grandchildren. These people go ga-ga when anybody talk about the Grand kids. They drive impossible distances to be with them, they jump through hoops to entertain them, they get up early, they stay up late. They watch Walt Disney or anything similar mind stopping if the kids want them to. The way I see it they got soft behind the ear.

But this is very lovely.

Actually, I don't understand it but I am sure there is a logical explanation behind this syndrome.

I think what it is that now they only have to deal with the pleasant side of the child. When things get out of control the child gets to be handed back to the parent. Hey, mom and dad here is your kid, he is your problem now!

The Grandparents don't have to change the diaper, don't have to worry about bad marks in school, don't have to worry about the cost of education and in some cases don't have to raise bail money.

So, they only see the fun side of the Grandchild.

That's the way life should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment