Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 3, 2010

It is amazing that some people don't know how to applaud. It is not something one learns in school but seeing enough people do it should give an idea of how to do it the right way.

When I see a show, let's say a game show and the contestants applaud on stage as many as they are that many different ways they applaud.

Some do it like a trained seal, downward vertical just clapping their hands together. Some people do it with bent palm thereby without realizing creating a booming sound. Some do it the cutesy way with their fingertips.

Nobody really knows the correct way to applaud and it is a shame. If these people would see themselves they would be ashamed of how silly they look.

===========================

Holding eating utensils in one's hands the correct way is actually in the eyes of the beholder.

When I was little my Mother took the time to show me how to hold the spoon, fork and knife correctly. Spending time with me doing this didn't upset her social schedule and I was glad she did it. Even years later she had the tendency to correct me if I did it the wrong way.

I do realize that there is a difference between the American and European ways of holding these utensils.

The way I learned it and that is the European way is that one holds the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right hand. The knife is not only for cutting but to help pushing the food onto the fork. That is how I still do it.

The American way is holding the fork in the left hand, hold the knife in the right hand cut the meat, most of the meat than switch the fork into the right hand and eat. There is nothing wrong with this system, but...

I have been watching people eat in restaurants and what I see sometimes curls the hair in the back of my neck.

They hold the fork in their left hand like a bayonet, practically nailing the meat to the table then proceeding with the cutting that is almost like killing that poor animal over again. And this is done by kids and grownups alike.

Don't American parents believe in teaching their kids the proper table etiquette?

I saw an American war movie that happened during World War II. The Americans dropped people behind German lines and they were to pass themselves off as German soldiers. Obviously these people spoke perfect German and had some German background.

The story followed two particular Americans. Also, there was a Gestapo guy who thought something was not right, he had his doubts and was watching these people.

It happened in a restaurant. The two Americans, in German officer uniforms were having dinner and the Gestapo guy was watching them. One of the Americans forgot himself and held his knife and fork the American way. Well, that was the end of him all right.


No comments:

Post a Comment