Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

This morning I spoke to somebody who is in Florida. After our discussions I checked the weather and from Miami Beach up it was about 48 degrees Fahrenheit everywhere and it wasn't expected to go up much during the day.

All I can say is that I am happy I live in the Northeast where it snows in the winter and it is hot and humid in the summer!

I have friends and family down in the Sunshine State and they are all shivering in their boots. They will manage because they live down there and they will weather this through but I really feel bad for the people who chose these few weeks as their vacation period.

They could have saved their money and stayed home. At least here they would be prepared for the snow and it wouldn't be a shock and surprise.

These are the two reasons we don't go on vacation in the winter.

If the weather is screwy planes don't leave. At the return one might have to dig his car out of a snowbank or worse yet, can get stuck back at the vacation place.

If the airports are closed the resorts will be very understanding and accommodating. Since one can not leave it is obvious that no one will be arriving. However, this is not free. They will charge for the extra stays, as will the car rental company and the restaurants for the meals.

The other questionable thing is the weather. Unless one goes to southern end of the Caribbean it is not guaranteed that it will be hot.

When a person waits the entire year for that little vacation time it can be very annoying if Mother Nature does not cooperate.

Our usual vacation time is in August when the only question is where will it be hotter, in the Caribbean or in New York. And curiously sometimes New York wins.

I love the four seasons. The changes in nature, the changes in the weather. Since I come from a country with four seasons this area is not unusual for me.

One can find something to do any time of the year. Sometimes it is outdoors sometimes it is indoors.

As much as I love the sun and surf I don't know if I could ever get used to living in a tropical climate since I still love winter.

It's a good thing that I am not an avid golfer because now I would be forced to pursue certain indoor activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment