Thursday, June 25, 2015

Wednesday

Today is Wednesday and it is one week that I am home from my whirlwind trip back to the old country. Since I was there as a tourist I can not really criticize the way life goes on over there but I did talk to several people and heard various opinions about the rules and regulations that prevail in that country.

Naturally some don't like it some are not really bothered by it. But where is Utopia? There is no country or regime in this world where there are no dissatisfied people. Even here where everybody thinks money grows on trees and life is like a bowl of honey there are critics.

So, I didn't pay much attention to the complainers who always complained no matter what regime was on the top, but enjoyed my being there.

My friend and I visited the Jewish cemetery where my parents, grandparents and his family were buried, several times. Every time I visit Hungary it appalls me the condition the Jewish cemetery in Budapest is in. If one doesn't hire private contractors to take care of the graves of their loved ones weeds will grow over everything. The Amazon jungle is nothing compared to what condition this cemetery is in.

I am totally convinced that the Hungarian Jewish Organization (MAZSIHISZ) that is tasked with the care steals the money and that is why nothing ever happens. My friend and I hired a few people and they performed beautiful work on the graves of our families.

Just a few words about the MAZSIHISZ. This organization is so money hungry that it is pathetic. Granted, there are not too many Jews living in Budapest but still!

While every beautiful church in the city is free to visit, and there are many gorgeous churches in Budapest, the great synagogue at Dohany Street charges an admission. To get a simple document from the organization like my birth certificate, they charge a fee. The get a remembrance note about family members lost during the Holocaust, they charge a fee.

To say it honestly it just didn't grab me the right way. I know they need contributions but in my book this not not the right way.

But these so called upsetting events did not mar my being there and having a great time.

More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment