Friday, June 26, 2015

Thursday

We rented a car at the Budapest Airport upon our arrival and used that to go all over the city. It was a small Skoda with manual transmission and a/c. I must tell you that I drove and I enjoyed every minute of the driving. I love to drive cars with manual transmission. Inn reality that is what real driving is all about.

Two hands and two feet working in unison making the car go smoothly now that's driving.

People were telling me that driving in Budapest is difficult because of the Hungarian drivers and the huge traffic. That was absolutely not true. I found the Hungarian drivers more courteous than the drivers here in the good old US of A and the terrible traffic in Budapest was not even near to what we have to put up with in New York on a daily bases.

One more thing. We had the opportunity to drive south to visit family. This was a very pleasant day trip. But I must mention that the quality of that main highway was better by far than anything I saw around here.

First it was spotlessly clean, second the road surface was smooth with no potholes or cracks or even joints. The car was gliding on it with practically no effort. This was what made the driving so pleasant.

The other thing is that these small cars use very little gas. We were driving around for days and the fuel gage didn't move at all. I used to have an eight cylinder Jeep where the fuel gage moved between the gas station and my garage at home. And the two were pretty close proximity to each other.

The fact that we had a car didn't mean that we used it all the times. My friend and I walked enormous distances in the city. That was to be able to see more and also to work up an appetite for the next necessary meal.

In our sight seeing programs we set aside a day when we used public transportation. Budapest has a fairly extensive Metro system. It is extensive for that city and we decided to try as many lines and as many stops as possible. In short, we had a great time traveling from one extreme end of the city to another in practically minutes.

Their metros are clean and on time and also very fast. The passengers behave civilized not like in New York. So, for us it was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment